Image: 1989 version of the Fontana delle Tette
In the centre of Treviso (Veneto, Italy) are two versions of a statue known as the Fontana delle Tette (literally translates to the Fountain of the Tits). The original was carved in 1559 by order of the mayor of the Republic of Venice. Wine flowed through the statue with red wine coming out of one breast and white wine from the other. The locals were permitted to drink the wine during a three day period whenever a new mayor was elected.
Image: The original 1559 version of the Fontana delle Tette
The original statue is damaged but can be seen under the shelter of the “Palazzo dei Trecento” in Piazza dei Signori. A new statue, with water pouring from the breasts, now sits is a small alley off via Calmaggiore near the Piazza.